Born at Tillicoultry and deaf at 5 from illness. Educated at Donaldson's Hospital School in Edinburgh, being such an excellent pupil that he was asked to stay on as a pupil-teacher. Left to run a woolen mill in Alva with his brother, but apparently this was a failure and he returned to teaching at Donaldson's. In 1904, left again to become a missioner to the deaf at Carlisle, remaining there until 1935 retirement. Also active in deaf organizations, serving as secretary-treasurer of the British Deaf and Dumb Association. Died after an illness and buried in Carlisle Cemetary.
Deaf Lives, p.131.
1865-__ March 1950