Deafned at 6 months of age; attended the Vienna, Austria, school for the deaf for 8 years. Held the aristocratic title of "Freiherr" (baron). Founded a school for the deaf in 1810 at Camberg (now Bad Camberg), Germany, the only German school for the deaf with a deaf founder. This school is now called the Freiherr-von-Schutz-Schule in his honor. He is buried in the Wiesbaden, Germany cemetery.
Silent Worker, v.8 n.6, Feb. 1956, p.12; http://www.freiherr-von-schuetz-schule.de/html/unser_schulgrunder.htm (seen 20 June 2006).
31 July 1780-22 June 1847